Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Cooking

Craig hospital hosted a Superbowl party for patients and families. At 2pm they opened the Therapeutic Recreation room for pre-party cooking. My mom and I made puppy chow (chex mix cereal with chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar) for the party today. She is getting strong enough to help stir. However, when it came to shaking the bag to evenly coat the powdered sugar, she gave a couple weak shakes and just looked at me. I asked her if the puppy chow was done. She said no. I asked her if she was done shaking and she said yes. I was impressed by her awareness that the recipe was not done and also her awareness that she was tired. Tough to make a yummy recipe and not be able to taste it! I hope that she passes a swallow test soon and can start reintroducing certain foods.

Before the Superbowl, we watched the pre-game festivities and I gave her a manicure and pedicure. She is starting to have some opinions - even when it comes to what color I paint her nails!

She is continuing to count numbers. I asked her today why she was counting and she said "it makes the time go by faster". We are trying to figure out how much stimulus she needs and how much is too much!

She also had a college friend come visit from Nebraska this weekend. When her friend came into her room, Tania had a shocked look and then a smile. It is wonderful to start seeing some expressions!

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment