As I write this, it is hard to believe that Tania’s ruptured brain aneurysm occurred 2 months ago. She has spent the better part of 2 months in ICU. She has had 7 brain surgeries – 1 aneurysm clipping, 3 temporary shunts and 3 permanent shunt surgeries.
Things I have learned in month 2:
- A little less than a month ago, I put a counter on this blog and as I type this entry, we have 5892 hits. I have to admit I had no idea we had so many readers. I was talking to a relative who is part of a start up business and he said that he could only wish to have this much internet traffic to his website. After that conversation, it really hit me how many lives my mom had touched and the worldwide reach of her friendships.
- We have learned the importance of the ICU level of care. After spending 8 nights in a LTAC, we now understand the difference of 2 patients to 1 nurse (ICU) versus team nursing (LTAC) where we struggled to get the care that she needed.
- The artwork Bible verse in my mom’s second ICU room is Job 11:18 “You will be protected and take rest in your safety”
- One of my mom’s nurses said that events like this either pull families together, or split them further apart. Our family has banded together. We have waited at the hospital during surgeries together, we have shared numerous meals and even taken in a sporting event. Ryan said that he has spent more time with our family in the last 2 months than he had in the previous 5 years put together. It has also been a blessing that we have all been able to enjoy time with precious Saydie.
- I shared with a co-worker that we were still receiving cards and meals on a regular basis and they were shocked that we had the kind of support system that two months later is still going strong. We thank all of you who have sent cards and meals. We are waiting to open the cards when she is more awake and I can’t wait to string the cards across her room to “decorate” the hospital room.
- Apparently my reading is soothing. I have been reading daily devotionals to my mom and nearly every time when I finish the 2-3 page story, she is sound asleep.
- Early on, my father said this journey would be a marathon. At the two month mark with my mom still in ICU, I think it will be an Ironman journey with the marathon as the final third of the race.
In closing, our family has been surrounded by prayer warriors and we are grateful for each and everyone of you who are walking with us on this journey.
Tara
Tara –
ReplyDeleteWe all appreciate being able to check in on Tania. Thank you for your special letter. May our Father in Heaven continue to Bless you and your Family, for your Faith, Strength, Courage, Patience and Love for your sweet Mother. You have all been through so very much already - especially Tania. She is weak, but I know her Spirit is aware of all that is happening to her and to all of you. She has to know such Joy, for your Love of each other and for her, and for the special closeness that will strengthen your Family forever. Know that everyone cares so much. You all continue to be in our daily prayers.
Love,
Janet and Ted
Thanks for the update, Tara!
ReplyDeletePraying for you all...
Thanks for the update and for sharing your family with all as we wait and pray with you.
ReplyDeleteYou all remain in thought and prayer.
Kent
We love you all so much and are in prayer each day! I want to tell Tania so many things and miss our talks. I am sure you miss them much more! She is a special lady, so loved! What a dear family she has too. I am writing things down to share sometime soon, so I don't forget anything. Tania walked with me through much pain and she will rejoice now with my position with Global Partners in Hope.
ReplyDeleteFaithful in prayer,
Peggy