Thursday, November 12, 2009

Real Clothes & Chocolate Pudding

It was GREAT to see my Mom in real clothes after months in hospital gowns! The rehab hospital encourages all patients to wear street clothes...mostly comfy sweats and t-shirts. My dad and I packed a suitcase and brought in some clothes earlier this week and this was the first day I was able to see her sit up in her wheel chair and have real clothes on!

To top it off, the speech therapist gave her chocolate pudding. She had an upset stomach so we are starting slow, but her response was "that tastes pretty good". After a couple months of protein mix that is given via a tube into her stomach, I'm sure chocolate pudding would taste amazing! She did a great job of swallowed the pudding, so the speech therapist said that she would try to sign Tania up for a swallow study early next week. She has to pass this test to move on to more table food.

She is also more talkative. Her voice is still very faint, so we have to lean in close and watch her lips and we still only make out about 50% of what she is trying to tell us. Hopefully she will get louder and we will improve our listening skills!

Tara

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! More fantastic news!!
    You're right, I bet that chocolate pudding tasted amazing! And I'm so happy to see that she is talking, even if it is faint, it's a great sign. And regular clothes must be such a welcome sight...she's on the right track. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Tania Praise the Lord for your progress
    Prayers have been for you. I will put you on
    the prayer list of my Stonecroft Bible Study
    group. Keep up the good work and blessings
    to you and family. Love Betha

    ReplyDelete